Crysler’s Farm Battlefield is a National Historic site located along the St. Lawrence River in South Dundas Township. It is now part of the St. Lawrence Parks Commission and is immediately adjacent to Upper Canada Village, about 12 km. (seven miles) east of Morrisburg:
Upper Canada Village
13740 COUNTY ROAD #2
GPS Position: 75°4’0″W, 44°57’0″N … -75.0667000, 44.9500000
The granite memorial sits atop a mound at the south end of Crysler Park and is flanked by a pair of 24-pounder cannon. It overlooks Lake St. Lawrence, created during the St. Lawrence Seaway Project in the 1950s, which flooded much of the actual acreage of John Crysler’s Farm.
At the base of the mound is the Battlefield Memorial Building, which houses a mural of the climax of the battle, an audio-visual presentation and artifacts form this historic engagement.
The site is accessible from Highway 401 (Exit 758, Upper Canada Road) and from SD&G County Road 2 (formerly Highway 2). The site is easily accessible from Ottawa and is about an hour’s drive south on Highway 31 or Highway 416.
If westbound on the 401 take Exit 770 (Dickinson Drive) south to County Road 2 and travel west. If eastbound take Exits 750 or 758 and travel south to County Road 2, then east on the county road.
Visitors from the U.S. can take one of three international bridges, at Cornwall, Prescott and Ivy Lea. All three have access to the 401.
For the War of 1812 enthusiast who wishes to follow the routes of the two armies that locked in combat on John Crysler’s Farm on November 11, 1813, exit the 401 at Gananoque and continue your journey east on the 1000 Islands Parkway and County Road 2.